'Study of a Horse' - Finished
Finished and signed this one. I added a subtle landscape based on pure imagination. I wanted the focus to be all on the horse with a sense of atmosphere. I'm also using a palette with some 19th century pigments and some modern pigments; using Van Dyke brown, Titanium White, etc.
I'm really happy with the way this turned out, but I gotta say it was a struggle up until this final day. The painting becomes very delicate after a certain point and it's easy to overwork it.
'Study of a Horse' - Day 3
Third day of painting, got up early to catch some good light. This painting is coming together nicely. I've got some good textures in the painting, including the metal part of the horse's bridle. I've always liked painting reflected metal because of how challenging it is. A few more sessions on this one and then I'll sign it.
'Study of a Horse' - Day 2
Day 2 of this, I started it as a study, since it's going well, I've decided to turn it into a finished scene. I need to refine it now and then sign it. I've never painted a horse before and I'm really enjoying the structure and color themes.
Started painting. It's going well, I'm going to add a naturalistic background tomorrow after this ebauche dries. The main structures are in place now, have to add detail.
For technique, I painted this one on a dry oil ground, as opposed to oiling out the canvas. This is the approach I'm going to use from now on. I also switched up my palette to reflect more of a 19th century vibe. I'm constantly going back and forth as to whether or not specific pigments matter. I'm of the opinion now that they definitely do.